HBO is one of the most popular television channels in the world, if not the most popular. The number of shows HBO produces has gained an enormous fan base and is evidence of this, such as Game of Thrones watch online, Silicon Valley, and The Sopranos.
If you look at the stats, you’ll see HBO has several shows on every list of the world’s most popular television shows.
For commissioning top TV series and documentaries, not even established streaming services like Netflix, and Amazon Prime can compete with HBO.
However, as good as it is, there are issues with watching HBO. It is geo-restricted to the USA. Luckily, there are ways around this, and in this guide, you can learn how to get a big-screen experience using Kodi.
By the end, you’ll be able to learn how to use Kodi to watch HBO in Australia in this guide.
How Do You Install HBO Go on Kodi?
You will discover, there is no official Kodi addon for HBO, so here are the steps to use a third-party Kodi add-on to stream live TV and be watching HBO on Kodi.
- Open Kodi
- Click Settings
- Select File Manager, then add the source file
- Select Add Source from the left column
- A window pops up so you can add file from the add-on repository, select None.
- Enter this URL exactly: http://ajbuilds.uk/secret/
- Name the source “Secret” and click Ok
- Navigate to the home screen and select Add-ons
- Click the package installer icon (open carton)
- Click Install from Zip File
- Scroll down and click on Secret
- From the two zip files, select plugin.video.fakmov.zip
- After a while, you will see the add-on enabled notification box appear on the right
- Navigate to the home screen, click Add-ons – Video Add-ons and then click Falcon
- In the list that appears, select Falcon IPTV.
- Here you will see a large list of TV channels based on location. Select USA TV to watch HBO on Kodi
- Scroll down and click on HBO
- Servers may take a while to load, but once they do, you are free to start streaming HBO on Kodi.
Some streams may sit behind geo-restrictions, even if using Kodi. If you live in Australia, it is wise to use a VPN to bypass these and protect against snooping ISPs and copyright trolls. (Find the Best VPN Providers Australia)
How Do I Watch HBO On Firestick?
Here are the steps you need to watch HBO for Kodi on an Amazon Fire Stick media player device. You will need a VPN to gain access to the download page for the relevant HBO apps.
- Start your Amazon Fire Stick device.
- Head to the official page for the HBO Max app and download it
- Once the official HBO app is installed on your device, open the app.
- Click on the option that says “Activate Your Device”
- This will give you a one-time activation code
- Startup your computer and then click the link HBOGO.com/activate
- You will need a Kodi VPN to access this from Australia
- Choose your Amazon Fire Stick device or Amazon Fire TV.
- Click the Continue Button
- You should choose your current TV provider and add your username and password
- Input received activation code you received from your TV.
- Select the option to Activate the Device.
- HBO Go should send a success message
- Now, you can watch HBO Go on your Firestick
Can I Get HBO on Jailbroken Firestick?
To watch HBO on your Kodi Amazon Fire Stick device, you need to enable or TURN ON options such as Unknown Sources and ADB Debugging.
If using a jailbroken Amazon Fire Stick device to access HBO TV shows and movies, be safe and make use of a VPN service.
Here’s what you need for installing the HBO Max streaming app to bundle all HBO together. Note, it does require an HBO Max subscription, even if this is an unofficial third-party Kodi Add-on for HBO Max.
It is suitable to install on Android devices, although you have to enable ‘Widevine L1 Secure Device’ in the Add-on Settings.
If you find playback doesn’t start, this shows your device isn’t L1.
Follow these addons steps to install the SlyGuy Add-on Repository.
- Navigate to the “Main Menu – Add-ons – My Add-ons”
- Select “..” and then click “Install from repository”
- Select “SlyGuy Repository”
- Select “Video add-ons,” then select “HBO Max”
- Select “Install,” then the add-on will download and install. (No install from zip file required)
- Go back to the main menu to access the HBO addon for Kodi
- You can now access the add-on in the Add-ons main menu item
To use, you will need to login (Go to hbomax.com/tvsignin and enter WS97SC), and from there, you can navigate around the movies, and TV shows select items to play.
How Do I Install Free HBO on my Firestick
From your FireStick device home-screen, hover above the search icon
- Type in “HBO Max” and select the first option
- Select HBO Max under the heading Apps & Games
- Click Get
- Click Apps
- Hover over the HBO Max app and select Move
- Place the app within your Apps & Channels or another location
- Launch HBO Max
These are the simple steps to install free HBO Max on your Firestick/Fire TV via the Amazon App Store
To watch HBO on Kodi, there is no getting away from using a VPN. Even before you install HBO on Kodi using any method here, it is advisable to have a VPN installed.
You can bypass geo-restrictions, but most importantly, when users use Kodi HBO addons, many agencies and copyright trolls watch users across the internet and access copyright-protected content. (Read Watch Coronation Street Online)
It is too easy to click OK and thinks you are free to watch what you want, such as watch HBO on Kodi, yet users are not sure what is going on behind the scenes.
Many streams access to content that isn’t allowed, hence the popularity of Kodi add-ons to watch the latest movies, tv shows, or sports they couldn’t otherwise access.
ISPs in Australia by law are requested to retain your online activity data for two years. A VPN is the best way you can retain your privacy and access HBO on Kodi without anyone looking over your shoulder.