Before we start talking about the terms like SmartDNS, DNS, and VPN, you must have an idea about them. So have a bird’s eye view of what these terms are all about and their functionality.
What is VPN?
Virtual Private Network, also known as VPN, adds security to your Wi-Fi and public networks. However, the primary purpose of a VPN is to access geo-blocked content. For example, if you live in a country where torrents are blocked, you can use VPN to access torrents.
VPN allows you to change your online location by changing your IP address. VPN is safe to use, and you can easily access blocked content with it.
What is Smart DNS?
Smart DNS is just like VPN. Many companies use smart DNS. Smart DNS is commonly used to direct the users to a proxy network. But the primary and foremost use of Smart DNS is to unblock sites blocked by ISP’s. (Read About NYAA Torrents)
What does a SmartDNS do?
Unlike VPN, SmartDNS does not change your IP address. It changes the DNS of your device and thus allows you to access blocked sites.
What is DNS?
Also known as Domain Name System. The Web uses DNS to name the websites according to their IP’s. A list of domain names and their respected IP’s is compiled and distributed over the internet.
How can I bypass location restrictions using VPN and Smart DNS?
Both VPN and Smart DNS serve the same purpose – bypass location restrictions. If you live in Australia and want to access blocked content like Torrent sites, BBC IPlayer, and US Netflix, you need to use one of these two options – VPN or Smart DNS.
So if you are confused between VPN and Smart DNS, I hope that the comparison detailed below will help you make the right decision.
- Very easy to set up. Just download and install the app and log in to your account.
- Very easy to use.
- All of your traffic is masked and encrypted.
- If you use a cheap and lower quality VPN, your internet speed will decrease.
- VPN is compatible with every streaming device. If you want to use it on a PC or MAC, you can download its software or VPN client. And if you want to use it on your smartphone or iPhone/iPad, you can download its app.
- If you live in Australia, you can access all the sites of the US like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, etc., using a VPN.
- For every high-quality VPN, there are more than 300 servers globally. And that’s why you can unblock the content of almost every region with a VPN.
- VPN will not work with your Smart TV unless you have a configured router for VPN.
- VPN is the safest way to protect you from hackers and cybercrimes.
- Almost every VPN service comes with a 7-30 day free trial facility. So you can check the services of a specific VPN before using it for a longer time.
- For Australian viewers, the best services are ExpressVPN (Read Review), NordVPN (Read Review), and IPVanish (Read Review).
Do not use free and cheap VPN services for bypassing location restrictions, as you may harm your device with a virus.
- Just like a VPN, it is compatible with all streaming devices.
- It is straightforward to use. All you need to do is change the DNS of your devices router.
- Setting up is pretty easy. Just make an account on it, authorize your IP and change it.
- The main advantage of using SmartDNS is that it won’t affect your internet speed.
- You cannot unblock all sites. SmartDNS services like Overplay or Unlocator (best SmartDNS Australia) can unblock sites like Hulu Plus and Netflix.
- Other than accessing foreign sites, you will still be able to access your local sites.
- You can quickly change your region without making any major changes to your configuration device.
- If your ISP uses techniques like DNS Hijacking or Transparent Proxies, you will not be able to bypass location restrictions.
- SmartDNS is compatible with iPhone, iPad, Smart TV, Apple TV, WD TV, MAC, PC’s, Tablets, Xbox one 360, Amazon Fire TV and Chromeset.
Comparing VPN and Smart DNS Proxy
Unlike a VPN, it does not provide encryption for your traffic, and you don’t need to change the IP address of the device in use. You need to change the DNS of your device. Because SmartDNS does not encrypt the traffic, the connection between your device and the website becomes much faster.
If privacy and security are your main concerns, you should not use SmartDNS. For privacy and security, you should use a VPN.
There are many factors in which Smart DNS lacks, and there are many in which VPN requires. So the selection depends on your usage. If you only want to access blocked sites in a speedy way along with your local sites, you should go for SmartDNS. (Learn How To Watch Hotstar In Australia)
However, if you want to access blocked content with privacy and security, you should go for a VPN service.
Useful tips for getting a VPN or SmartDNS
- Your internet speed should be high enough to cope with the internet speed loss during traffic encryption.
- A well-written policy.
- Notable contact information.
Both VPN and SmartDNS are used to bypass location restrictions, and the selected one is difficult as they provide different and unique features. It is recommended not to use free web proxies to bypass location restrictions, as you may get DMCA notice from your ISP.
They are the two best ways to bypass location restrictions if you are living in Australia. If you want to surf the blocked websites safely, you should choose a VPN (Here’s how to set up a VPN). And if you don’t care much about your privacy and want a speedy connection, you should choose a Smart DNS. (Learn How Do I Get Netflix On My TV)