Hotstar is an Indian VOD, and entertainment service delivers lots of TV shows, soaps, Bollywood movies, various other Indian content, and, most importantly, sports content.
A lot of this content comes by way of users holding a premium content subscription, But even this dish up geo-restrictions, which prevents Australian viewers from accessing the service. Here we will take a look at how you access Hotstar in Australia.
Special Deal 49% Off
Countries Who Have Hotstar Access
Hotstar has changed strategy now, and the Star India owned streaming service now only allows access to the US and Canada. All other countries are out of luck.
If you try to access Hotstar from outside India, Canada, or the US, you won’t get access. You will then be presented with the following error, “This content is not available in your region.”
To make it worse, even in the US or Canada, you can only access a watered-down version of Hotstar. This means to get the full shebang, you need to access Hotstar from India.
With content limitations and geo-restrictions when outside of India. There are only US viewers who can make use of the Hotstar one-month free trial before paying the $9.99 per month Hotstar subscription.
This service is available with the Hotstar app for Android and iOS and is available from the US Google Play Store or the American iTunes store.
These Hotstar download locations are crucial to watch Hotstar in Australia without using an alternative method. It does mean connecting to USA Play Stores and iTunes stores so not viable.
What Exactly Can I Stream on Hotstar
There are loads of channels that Hotstar offers viewers. Here are a few examples:
- Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
- Kullfi Kumarr Bajewala
- Koffee with Karan
- Devon Ke Dev…Mahadev
- Yeh Hai Mohabbatein
- Sarabhai vs. Sarabhai
- Dance Plus, and many more.
If you are quite partial to watching a cricket match or two, then Star Sports has you covered. Here are some games you can stream:
- ICC Cricket World Cup
- ICC Champions Trophy
- ICC T20 World Cup
- ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup
- NatWest t20 Blast
- Plus various cricket leagues in India, Australia, Bangladesh, and England!
That isn’t all you can access, here are some other sports events that are well worth watching
- Football (including the EPL)
- Formula One
Streaming Devices Which Work With Hotstar
Hotstar is compatible with the following devices:
- Windows PC
- OSX Mac
- Apple TV
- Android, iOS, and Chromecast
Signing up for a Hotstar Account
Accessing Hotstar is straightforward when you have the right tools to get around the restrictions. Using a VPN is the only way, and luckily Hotstar doesn’t check if a VPN is being used. The secret is to use a VPN for Hotstar, and then all you need to do is the following:
- Change your location. Connect to an Indian VPN server
- Visit the main Hotstar website. Click on the ‘Sign In” option in the top RH corner
- Select “Sign up” from the pop-up box
- Next, you create an account with necessary details and add your email address
- You then select your plan and make a payment with your credit card
- You will receive a confirmation by email with account details
Note: The monthly option does give a 7-day free trial, but if you don’t want to continue, be sure to send a cancel reply before that period is up and you start getting charged.
Accessing Hotstar on Mobile Apps
To download the Hotstar app, India on Android devices follow these steps:
- Download the best VPN app on your device.
- Change your location (country) to India.
- Open the Indian Play Store and download the Hotstar android app.
The iOS app is a little different, here is the walkthrough:
- Logout of your iTunes account
- At the bottom of the ‘store,’ change your location to India. Tap the Indian flag
- Search for the Hotstar app in the app store and click on ‘Get.’
- You are asked to create an account
- Create a username and password for your Indian ‘new account.’
- Enter an address from India
- Login with your new Apple ID
- Download Hotstar app
Special Deal 49% Off
Why a VPN Helps With Hotstar Live Streams?
A VPN hides your IP address and encrypts traffic by routing it through secure VPN servers.
Connecting to a server located in a country for the Hotstar live streaming service, you can stream content from all Hotstar channels. This comes with added privacy and security, and no blackouts or connection throttling!
Accessing Hotstar With Kodi
Another way to watch all of the Hotstar movies and Hotstar TV is by using the Kodi add-on. This can transform your live streaming experience as you can access the service much easier.
This also allows you to possibly access premium Hotstar streaming services without signing up for a subscription, but it is good to know that Hotstar is straightforward, even if you do have to pay.
This method still needs a VPN for Kodi no matter what device you are using. To make sure you can make use of the add-on, you will even need to set it to a server in India.
Here are the simple steps to unblock Hotstar with the Kodi add-on.
- Launch Kodi
- Select the “Gear” icon in the top right corner
- Select “File Manager” in the bottom right menu
- Scroll down to “Add Source.”
- Double-Click on “None” and enter the following URL exactly http://srp.nu
- Name the media source: “SuperRepo.”
- Navigate to the Kodi menu and click “Add-ons.”
- Click the “Package” symbol to start the installation
- Select “Install from zip file” and search for the “SuperRepo” source
- Click on “Krypton” – All – superrepo.kodi.krypton.all-0.7.04.zip
- Wait for the “Add-on installed” notification box to show
- Navigate back to the previous menu and select “Install from Repository.”
- Select the “SuperRepo All [Krypton] [V7]” and open the “Video Add-ons” list
- Locate the “Hotstar” option and open the add-on and click the install button
- Launch the add-on and enjoy watching Hotstar
This streaming service is well worth the minimal monthly cost, and for the depth of content, there are none like it.
As long as you sign up for the best VPN services, then you can easily connect to an Indian server and access all of the content on Hotstar.