The Marvel Studios MCU is vast and scattered with some of the best and most enjoyable movies and great shows.
Trying to piece together the order to watch everything in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is quite tricky. They don’t release the movies and shows in the way they fit into the timeline of the MCU.
If you take the release dates, there are four phases, with three being complete, and phase four kicking off with the anticipated Black Widow movie.
However, to get the best of the Marvel movie marathon order, all the Marvel movies are in the intended order.
Marvel shows follow their timeline, so here is the timeline, aside from the list of Marvel movies in order.
What Order to Watch Marvel Movies
To get the best from the MCU and Marvel movies on Netflix.
You need to watch in chronological order because of the ones pulled from the service; and moved to their new home.
Instead of leaving a list full of holes. Here is the exact viewing order of Marvel movies on Netflix and beyond.
- Captain America: The First Avenger (1942-1943): Captain America was a great intro to the MCU and set in World War II.
- Captain Marvel (1995): Captain Marvel Netflix is the real starting point for the MCU and shows the first incarnation of S.H.I.E.L.D. You can see the connections between Infinity War and Endgame, but it does sit at the number one spot.
- Iron Man (2010): Once seen as the birth of the MCU, it now holds more weight as the real second movie than it did previously.
- Iron Man 2 (2011): More of the same, and even more sight of Nick Fury.
- The Incredible Hulk (2011)
- Thor (2011)
- The Avengers (2012): A great follow on to Thor and the return of Loki.
- Iron Man 3 (2012)
- Thor: The Dark World (2013): The Dark World sees a turning point for the MCU and introduces the infinity stones.
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014): The Winter Soldier could easily be at the same time as Iron Man 3; thus, there is no sign of Stark in this outing.
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2014)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
- Ant-Man (2015)
- Captain America: Civil War (2016): Civil War sees all the main characters at the head with each other. Will the Avengers be torn apart?
- Spider-Man: Homecoming (2016)
- Doctor Strange (2016-2017): A look at magic rather than superhero skills entering the realm.
- Black Widow (2017)
- Black Panther (2017)
- Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
- Ant-Man and the Wasp (2017)
- Avengers: Infinity War (2017)
- Avengers: Endgame (2018-2023): Best watched with Infinity War on Netflix as they are tied closely to each other.
- Spider-Man: Far From Home (2023)
For now, that is the best order to watch Marvel movies, no matter where you find them.
How to Watch Marvel Shows in Order
Although some shows are closely related to the movies in order, not all are referenced from the film. However, the shows follow their timeline, so they are worthy of binge-watching on Netflix.
Here is how to watch the Marvel MCU shows in order and not by their release date.
Daredevil: A tough task for the show, yet it did it quickly and gave a sound footing for the rest of the shows to follow.
Jessica Jones season one: Krysten Ritter did a great job as the ex-superhero taking on the role of a private detective.
Daredevil season two: In this season, there was lots of groundwork being set that would work its way into other shows.
Luke Cage: The first Netflix superhero to leave Hells Kitchen
The Defenders: The first grouping of the four heroes to take on The Hand (Sigourney Weaver)
Jessica Jones season 2, Luke Cage 2, Iron Fist 2, Daredevil 3, The Punisher 2, and Jessica Jones-3.
Watching Netflix in Australia
It may sound strange to watch American Netflix in Australia, although there is a good reason.
Although Netflix is available nearly everywhere, many movies and shows cannot be shown due to publishing rights. A prime example being the number of Marvel films that have now moved to Disney+.
Netflix has some of the most stringent restrictions from any streaming service, making it much easier to create an account. However, to watch a different Netflix library, you do need to use a VPN service. (Learn How to Watch The Order)
This works to spoof your location and make you look as if your connection is from the U.S.A.
If you don’t have a Netflix account, here are the quick instructions to do so.
- Open the www.netflix.com web page
- Enter your email address
- Click the ‘Try 30 Days Free’ button.
- Add a password
- Click ‘Continue’
- Make the payment.
- Click ‘Start Membership’
- Select your devices and then click on ‘Continue.’
To get the best of any Marvel action, your VPN does need to be good; this is particularly true for Australian Marvel fans.
Luckily, the best recommendation of Express VPN delivers in every way you can imagine. Being the number one streaming VPN provides total privacy and security and runs on the biggest range of devices.
To make the most use of the Netflix free month, you can sign up for the best VPN and use the 30-day money-back guarantee to watch all your favourite Marvel characters free.