The Amazon.com website is available to people in more than 200 countries. However, certain countries restrict some of the digital content. You can find this in music, eBooks on Kindle or movies.
Besides this, you can find the Amazon Prime Video library of movies and TV shows on the website on offer differs significantly between countries.
Much of this is because of licensing restrictions, and therefore, if you wish to access any restricted digital content, you need to know how to change the country on Amazon. In this guide, you can learn how to change Amazon country so you can manage your content regardless of where you are.
Can you use the same Amazon account for different countries?
The first thing you need to understand is that your Amazon website shipping with Prime is only available for your country of registration unless you transfer your account to a new area.
Besides this, you can use your Amazon Account in other countries to varying degrees. In addition, you will find Amazon; family sharing is possible if you are in another region while the family is at home.
Besides your Amazon account defaulting to the country you are in, if you are a Prime member, you can do the following:
- Video – Eligible Prime members can make use of the ‘Watch While Abroad’ feature. It is, however, only available for specific titles.
- Music – You can download your favourite tracks from Amazon music
- Reading – To save mobile data on your devices, you can borrow your Kindle books ahead of time
Can I transfer my Amazon Prime membership to another country?
Although you can use your Amazon account in another country, it isn’t possible to transfer your account membership to another country.
To carry on using the Amazon website service, you would need a new Amazon to account for that region. You will find two reasons this happens, first is the cost. For instance, India is cheaper than the USA, UK or Australia.
If it were possible to transfer your account for Amazon Prime Video membership to say Australia after signing up, then Amazon is on a loss maker, as everyone would be doing the same.
Second is the legal aspects you sign up for, and these can differ between countries. Something could happen, and you find you are not covered or worse; you are liable for something.
If the same Prime Video content is available on the new Amazon website in another country, you can change your country. Yet, you will need to change your address and change Amazon currency options to carry on payments.
Where is Change Account Settings on Amazon?
If you need to change your new account details, you can follow the steps here.
- In your Amazon account, navigate to login & Security
- Besides any information you wish to update, select ‘Edit.’
- Follow any of the on-screen instructions and then select ‘Save Changes.’
- Once you make your updates, select ‘Done’ to finalise
While this is easy to update your details, you will basically have a new account for that particular region. However, you can find a much easier way of doing this.
Many Amazon subscribers won’t be moving to new locations and won’t require a new Amazon account. Instead, they wish to access certain video content or the Kindle store from another website outside of their region.
Changing Amazon Country Settings for Short Durations
If you are staying in one country, changing the country settings by using a VPN service. By doing this, you can access New Amazon content not available usually.
You will find, there is no need to change your account region using this method. As long as you use a VPN to change one of the servers, you then have full access to that Amazon website and Kindle store on your devices.
Here are the steps to access another Amazon website
- Using a desktop browser, log in to your Amazon account
- Navigate to Accounts & Lists and then ‘Your Content and Devices
- Select preferences and then the down arrow to the right side of ‘Country/Region’ settings (you will see your current country)
- Select Change and enter a new address you want to link to your account
- Click ‘Change or Click Update’ once you make the changes
Once you do this, you then need your VPN to bypass the restrictions. With a premium VPN, you need to sign-up and then install the client.
- Open the client and pick a server you wish to access. The more popular region being the US-based Amazon website.
- Next, log in to your Amazon Prime video account or the Amazon website.
- Search the Kindle store or the video content you wish to watch.
- Once you find the title, it should now come with a ‘Watch Now’ button underneath.
- The Prime Video movie or TV show should then begin to play if the VPN access was successful.
If you wish to purchase any Kindle books from the Kindle Store, or content in the Amazon Prime section comes with an additional cost, and you do need a payment method for that region.
Besides this, you will find content and devices are usable; because of this, it appears this workaround works mainly on desktops. It is particularly the case when trying to unblock Amazon Prime in the US.
You may see the ‘Watch Now’ button on mobile devices, yet once you click, it diverts you to another page explaining how to use the mobile app.
Read More: How to Change App Store Country for Google Play