Around the world, many users opt to start using a VPN service for the chance to access Netflix in the USA and bypass the tough geo-restrictions it imposes. Out of all the working VPN’s, you will only find a handful that can still work reliably.
NordVPN is one of this handful, yet for some, they are receiving the dreaded “Whoops, something went wrong, you seem to be using an unblocker or proxy.”
Messages like this are bad news, particularly if you are trying to watch US Netflix in Australia.
Here you can learn more about Netflix. Does NordVPN work with it still, and if you have NordVPN, what can you do to get rid of the Netflix site error.
Has Netflix Blocked NordVPN?
It is a daily struggle for VPN’s to keep ahead of the blocks and checks Netflix has in place to work reliably.
Nearly all the premium VPN’s face Netflix blocks at one stage or another. Unfortunately, Netflix has again detected some of the NordVPN’s server addresses and blocked them.
If you are one of the users facing the message you are using a VPN, then there are things you can try before you give up.
Does Netflix Not Work with a VPN?
While there are hundreds of VPNs available, hardly any of them will work reliably with Netflix. Some even go as far as to state they don’t offer Netflix access. Whereas it was one of the key, selling points to a VPN.
The first thing you may see is the proxy error message.
“Oops, something went wrong…
You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. For more help, visit netflix.com/proxy”
You see these messages once Netflix detects which IP addresses are those belonging to VPN providers. While it may appear, they find one and block it, such as the case with NordVPN.
Netflix US blocks thousands of IP addresses daily. Netflix checks the number of devices connected with the same IP addresses. More than a handful trying to gain access means it is coming from a VPN provider. (Read Free Alternatives To Netflix)
With all Netflix content having full distribution rights reserved, it is easy to see why they put so much effort into stopping anyone in Australia or the UK and more accessing Netflix content from the US library.
How Do I Get Netflix to Work With NordVPN?
NordVPN has many servers in the USA, so there is a good chance you can get NordVPN working again to watch Netflix. You can try all these before you need to contact customer support and ask to use their 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here is a quick rundown of things you can try to get a working VPN with
- Turn it Off: It can be a simple fix, so disconnect your VPN and then reconnect. You can now carry out a few tests to make sure there is nothing wrong with the end of your VPN connection.
- Check local network: Not everyone connects from home. If you are using someone else’s internet connection, then the admin may set blocks on VPN traffic. NordVPN allows you to use obfuscation to hide the fact you are using a VPN.
- Contact customer support: NordVPN has vastly improved its customer support. VPN’s who have a live chat are forever informing subscribers which servers work with Netflix when the Netflix VPN not working.
- Check for Updates: On occasions, an old version of the NordVPN app can be the reason you can’t access Netflix with NordVPN reliably. Check to see if there are any updates to your VPN client.
- Try another server: It may appear obvious, yet if you try another server, you may find this one has working IP addresses. NordVPN has specialist servers for streaming and torrenting, so check these first before trying alternatives.
- IP leaks: It isn’t merely the VPN Netflix IP address is blocked that stops Netflix from working. If you are trying to access US Netflix from Australia and your IP address leaks, then Netflix may pick this up and apply the geo-restrictions.Test for leaks on the NordVPN app using third-party services ipleak.net is one of the best sites to check for leaks.
- Use Incognito Mode: Private browsing is best to use when using your browser. Beginning with an empty cache and no cookies stops Netflix from spotting anything that can prevent giving you access.
- WebRTC: To speed up communications, browsers use Web Real-Time Communication (WebRTC) to communicate directly without passing through intermediate servers. You can disable this or use a browser extension to prevent any WebRTC leaks.
- Use a dedicated IP address: While there is an additional cost, you can get a static IP address from NordVPN. So long as this allows you access to US Netflix, it can save lots of hassle when trying to bypass the restrictions.
- Cookies & Cache: While you have an empty cache and cookies are wiped in private browsing, make sure you are using a browser that has both zero cookies and an empty cache. It can be worth installing a secondary browser just for Netflix with VPN use.
Does NordVPN Work with American Netflix?
It can be frustrating when you face the situation and wonder does NordVPN work with Netflix.
However, most of the above can help resolve these issues. You can see from many other NordVPN review sites that there are issues, yet they are resolved. Accessing Netflix with NordVPN is one of the best ways, no matter if they have an IP address or two blacklisted.
NordVPN has many servers, which are working with Netflix, and will do so for a while. If the number of servers isn’t enough to give you confidence, you can use the 30-day money-back guarantee if you have recently subscribed.
You can then check another of the world’s top streaming VPNs to watch Netflix and see if there is any difference.