Kodi is the best home cinema player you can find. Since the humble beginnings, it has grown in popularity through the use of official and some best Kodi add-ons for Australia that are unofficial.
While you can learn how to add Netflix to Kodi, this add-on is 100% legal. Although anyone who uses Netflix Kodi is often tarred with the same brush and copyright trolls, they tend to frown upon them.
This aside, it is best to protect yourself and use the best Kodi VPN for this exercise. Not only can you stop any prying eyes, or your ISP throttling your connection, you will be able to access Netflix libraries from other regions using the Netflix Kodi addon.
One thing worthy of note is that it did become a bit harder to install the Netflix addon to Kodi. The source was the Aleclec Repository, and unfortunately, this option does not work anymore.
To get around this, you need the latest version of Kodi (Kodi 18 Leia) and the workaround for the broken install from repository link.
Here, you can learn all you need to install Netflix on Kodi for the best Netflix in Australia experience on the big screen.
Install Netflix on FireStick Kodi
If you want to use Netflix on Kodi using your fire device, you need to jailbreak your FireTV to install Kodi before you can begin. You will find Kodi is not a part of the Amazon store as it is a clash with the Amazon player already on the device.
Here you can follow these simple steps and install Kodi on FireStick:
Install ES File Explorer
You will need to use ES File Explorer later, so it is worth following these instructions.
- Head to Settings – System – Developer Options. Here you can Enable ‘ADB Debugging’ and also ‘Apps From Unknown Sources’
- Navigate to the home screen and then to the search bar.
- Type ‘ES Explorer’
- Select the ES Explorer icon and click Download.
- Once ES Explorer has been installed successfully, click Open.
- Once you are in the ES File Explorer app, head to the Favourite tab. Select the Add button
- Inside the pop-up window, enter the Path: http://fireunleashed.com/as. Give the source a name such as Fire
- Click on the Add button
- Go back to the Favourite list, then select and click on the Fire listing
- On the tab on the right, click ‘Click Here to Install AppStarter’ and download the file
- Once you have downloaded the file, click the Select button with your remote, and you can then click ‘Open File’ from the pop-up menu.
- Select the AppStarter APK to start installing the app and proceed through the standard process of setup.
- Once the setup process has ended select ‘Open’ to start
Installing Kodi on FireTV
- When you are on the AppStarter home screen, head to the Updates listing to the left of your screen and select Updates
- Select the Install button on to the right-hand side of the screen and go through the setup procedure that will Install Kodi on FireTV.
- Once you have run through the setup process, select ‘Open’ to launch the Kodi app on FireTV.
1. Update Kodi to Latest Version
If you are not already running Kodi 18.8 Leia, make sure you update to the latest version.
You can head to the Kodi website and select the appropriate download links for your devices.
You do need this version of Kodi because of the broken install from the repository link to the repo. It is only with the update of Kodi you can use the workaround to access the required zip file for installation of the add-on.
2. Download the Netflix Zip File
Here, you need to visit GitHub to find the appropriate file.
The page is https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix and from there scroll down until you see the section named ‘Installation & Updates.’
Once you reach this section, you see two zip files—one for Kodi 18 and one for the unreleased Kodi 19.
Download the Kodi 18 CastagnaIT repository (zip file), and remember the location.
3. Preparing Kodi for Installation
By default, Kodi will stop the installation of any third-party Kodi addon. As you install Netflix Kodi add-on is legal, you still need to allow unknown sources because the repo is not the official one.
Additionally, if you have ever done this before, you do not need to do it again.
- Start your Netflix Kodi and make sure you are on the home screen
- Select the gear icon in the top-left corner
- Select ‘System’ to the right of the screen
- Hover your cursor above the ‘Add-ons’ listing
- To the right, you will see ‘Unknown Sources’ toggle this to on (You will see a warning message, so just accept)
4. Install from Zip File
Now, you are set to install everything else to install Netflix Kodi 18.
- Go back to the Home Screen
- Select Add-ons then choose ‘My Add-ons’
- Select ‘Video Player Input Stream’
- Scroll down and then enable both InputStream Adaptive and RTMP Input
- Navigate back to the home screen
- Select add-ons and select the open box icon (Package installer)
- Click ‘install from zip file’ Find the download destination of the GitHub file. It may have the name of plugin.video.netflix-master.zip.
- After installation, you will receive success notification, and the Kodi addon is enabled
- Head to the home screen and select Add-ons – video add-ons, then you will see the Netflix icon.
To access all the Netflix TV shows, you need to log in with your account details.
On some occasions, users of this Netflix addon have been asked to install a further two additional repositories. If you see these requests, accept and install both of them.
You may need to accept terms, but as far as input, most of it is automatic.
You may also find that as Netflix uses their encryption protocol that allows the playing of 1080p or 4K videos, you may be asked to install the Widevine CDM Kodi add-on. If your device is compatible, you can watch in high-resolution, but if not, you may find yourself limited to 720p resolution.
Installing Netflix on FireStick Kodi
If you plan to use Kodi, Android devices in the form of your FireStick are not so good when it comes to downloading your zip file.
Such devices do not have USB ports where you can quickly transfer these files after downloading them.
Here, you can follow these steps for a simple solution.
- Download ES File Explorer onto your streaming device
- Open the app and locate the ‘network tab,’ under here, activate the ‘Remote Manager’
- To the bottom of the screen is a significant ‘Turn On’ button, select this to enable Wi-Fi transfers between devices (Make sure the computing device you downloaded the GitHub file and streaming device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network)
- Write a note of the IP address you can see
- On your computer, download an app called FileZilla (you can use this to send the file from Windows or macOS)
- Make a connection between the two devices by entering the IP address you found in your ‘Host’ field.
- Your two devices will connect, and you can then transfer the Kodi addon zip file where you can then install it in Kodi.
Why Use a VPN for Kodi?
When you use Kodi without a VPN, you can face many hurdles, particularly in Australia.
Here are some areas why it is wise to use a VPN when using the best Kodi addons for Australia.
Geo-Restrictions: If you try to access US Netflix from Australia without a VPN, you will find Kodi not working to deliver access to the international library. Additionally, other Kodi video add-ons also have restrictions in place, depending on where their source streams come from.
A VPN will give you a different IP address based on the country you select inside the client app.
ISPs and copyright trolls watch every move: Without a VPN, your ISP is free to harvest data for all your online activity. In Australia, the retention time is two-years, so this will amount to large volumes of data. VPNs encrypt your connections, so your ISP cannot see what you are doing. As a result, streaming with or without Kodi often results in connection throttling.
When you use a VPN, you can use your connection at the fastest speed without any throttling.
Using all the above is the best way to get Netflix on Kodi. While it often appears hard, you can quickly get American Netflix in Australia so long as you use the best streaming VPN for Netflix, and use it in Australia.
Not all offer the same features, and it would be a shame to select the wrong one to find you have a Netflix site error after paying your money.
Netflix on Kodi can deliver the best viewing experience in the easiest possible way.
Using all the above, you can now find the best video add-ons to install from the repository, which can serve up countless TV shows and movies.
Looking for a Kodi Alternative? Read The Best Plex Plugins Guide