It is very different than it used to be in the Facebook and Facebook Messenger world. Nowadays, you don’t have to be a friend before you can pass messages back and forth.
What this leads to is messages being received from individuals you don’t necessarily wish to communicate with on a regular basis, if at all.
While this side of it is easy, it appears to be harder to remove people from Facebook Messenger than it ought to be.
In our guide, we go through all the ways you need to know about how to remove someone from Messenger.
By the end, you’ll see how to delete people from Messenger you don’t know, and how to delete people from Messenger you do know. (Learn How to Deactivate Messenger)
How Do I Remove Non-Friends from Messenger on iPhone?
Because of the way the iPhone works and links to your contacts. It can be a bit different.
Remove iPhone Contacts from Messenger
- Open Messenger app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Use these steps to delete contacts from Messenger, which you added from your iPhone or iPad contact list, not via Facebook.
- Tap your profile photo. (Top-left corner of the Chats tab)
- Tap Phone Contacts. (You will see ‘On’ if iPhone is set-up to sync contacts to Messenger next to ‘Upload Contacts’)
- Tap Upload Contacts.
- Tap Turn Off
When you disable this, your phone can no longer sync phone contacts to someone on Facebook Messenger.
- Open the Facebook app. (Blue-and-white ‘f’)
- When you unfriend someone on Facebook Messenger, they won’t show on your People list in Messenger. Their new posts won’t appear in your Facebook feed.
- Tap the magnifying glass. (Top-right corner of Facebook)
- Search for the person you want to unfriend. (Type their name in the search field. Tap their profile icon when you see it)
- Tap the three dots at the top of the profile … (Right side of the blue Message button)
- Tap Friends. (top of the menu
- Tap Unfriend. (You will see a confirmation)
- Tap OK to confirm.
Once you remove this person from your Facebook friends list, you won’t see them in Messenger contacts.
Block Someone on Messenger
This method helps block a contact on Messenger and without unfriending them on Facebook.
When you block someone on Messenger, the person you block can’t see you online or contact you in social media or appear in your Messenger contact list. (Learn How to Delete Facebook)
The person isn’t notified you’ve put them in unfriend option and blocked them, though they will receive an error when trying to message.
- Open Facebook Messenger app
- Tap a conversation with the person you want to block.
- Tap the person’s name (top of the conversation)
- Scroll down and tap ‘Block’
- Tap Block on Messenger. (wait for confirmation)
- Select ‘Block’ to confirm.
To unblock the person in the future.
- Tap your profile image to the top-left corner of your Chats tab
- Tap Privacy and select Blocked People
- Select the person you want to unblock
- Tap Unblock on Facebook Messenger
How Do You Remove Someone from Your Messenger Bar?
The Facebook Chat sidebar lets you send messages to anyone online.
When open, your sidebar displays friends who are currently logged in. Here’s the steps on how to delete people from Messenger bar.
- Log in to Facebook
- Click the ‘Chat’ button in the lower right (opens the sidebar)
- Click the gear-shaped button (inside Chat sidebar)
- Click ‘Advanced Settings’
- Click ‘Turn on chat for all friends except’
- Select the text field to enter the name of the person you want to block appearing in your messenger bar.
- When you see the name in the drop-down list
- Click to add to the exclusion list
How Do I Delete Someone From Messenger 2020?
Here is the new alternative of how to delete people from Messenger as you now have no option or button to select delete Facebook contact on Messenger.
- Open Facebook Messenger.
- Tap the people icon at the bottom middle.
- Tap the contact icon at the top next to the profile icon with the plus (+) sign
- Now you see a list, tap the info icon on the right of a contact you want to delete
- Tap the “Message” button, and then tap the info icon in the top right corner
- Scroll down to tap the “Block” button (round minus icon) to ‘Block on Messenger’ and ‘Block on Facebook’
- When you tap ‘Block on Facebook,’ your browser opens to redirect you to Facebook. Tap the “Block” button to confirm you have blocked someone from Facebook Messenger.
Once you follow these steps, anyone you block or remove from your friend’s list can’t send you message requests.
How to Delete a Conversation on Messenger
It is very easy to delete a conversation on Messenger. Select the conversation and then tap and hold or touch and hold on Android. iOS you can swipe left to delete.
You will need to know how to remove someone from Messenger to stop any repeat messages. This is truer if they are a non-friend and you want to remove them or block someone in your Messenger contacts. (Learn How To Deactivate Facebook On iPhone)
It is easier to remove someone from Messenger who are Non-friends as they don’t know you. Keep in mind, they could work out your location, and will still have copies of your conversations, even if you remove Facebook posts.
Delete All Contacts
Here are the steps you need to remove someone from Messenger or in bulk inside the Messenger app. It doesn’t matter if they are a friend or a non-friend when it comes how to delete friends on Facebook Messenger 4.
- Open the Messenger App
- Click on the people icon in the bottom.
- Click ‘All Contacts’
- For each contact is an ‘i’ symbol. Click it. (this lets you view profile on Facebook)
- On the next screen, you have ‘Remove contact’ you want to get rid of
- Click it, and they will be deleted
If you chat with many individuals, not in your friend list, and they are not assured contact, it is better to be safe. Using a VPN can help protect your location from a non-friend on Messenger.
Before you even use the un-friend option, you can mask your location unless you specifically mention this inside a message.
It is the best way to avoid anyone knowing where you live and should be the first step before you learn how to delete people on Messenger.