Team Kodi delivered Kodi, formerly XBMC foundation, a digital media player that streams movies, TV shows, live sports, IPTV channels, and much more. It is available for Mac, Android (Box), Windows, Linux, FireStick, Raspberry Pi, Apple TV, and other platforms.
OpenELEC provides a slew of useful features to the MX2, including native 1080p playback in XBMC, slimmed-down firmware, and advanced XBMC options, to name a few. If you’re not familiar with OpenELEC, you can learn more about it on their website.
Users can now install OpenELEC on Matricom G-Box MX2 devices thanks to the hard work of XDA user Codesnake. The files you’ll need are quite identical to those required for flashing the GBox Midnight firmware. (Learn How To Turn Off Kodi)
It may appear complicated, yet you’ll find all you need to install Kodi on G Box midnight devices in our guide.
By the end, you’ll know enough to change the Midnight MX2 device into an ideal partner to Kodi from the XBMC foundation and the dedicated Kodi team.
Getting Started With the Midnight MX2
We cannot support anything wrong with the OpenELEC build (also LibreElec build) because Matricom does not maintain it and Team Kodi has nothing to do with it.
If you brick your box while trying to flash it, you’ll have to recreate the factory settings.
What You Need:
- 1 x SD Card
- The Zip file: (found here http://files.matricom.net/MX2/Firmware/OpenELEC.zipp). This file contains the OpenELEC build, recovery.img, and the AML Script.
- 1 x Toothpick or small screwdriver
- 15 minutes of free time
Steps to Install Firmware Files Onto MX2 Devices
- Fill your SD card with the three files listed above and save them to the root location of your SD card. If you don’t put it at the root, it won’t work correctly.
- You can flash your MX2 once these files are on your SD Card!
- First, make a backup of any files on your MX2.
- The device will be blank as everything will be erased.
- Put your SD card into your MX2, then press the reset button on the back of the A/V port on your MX2.
- Sit and watch your MX2 update to the latest firmware version.
- If the flashing screen does not appear, there may be a problem with your SD card or the file structure on your SD card.
- Check that all the files are on the root of your SD card once more.
- You’ll see the OpenELEC boot screen now that your box has flashed and rebooted successfully:
- It’ll boot up to the welcome screen, and there are a few tweaks you can make to make this setup work better.
- To begin, WiFi is disabled by default, so you’ll need to enable it under the System Settings. Next, select Wireless Networks under “System – OpenELEC – Network.” This allows you to search for and add wireless connections to your MX2.
- The next step is to enable automatic updates, which can be found under the “Updates” section of “System > OpenELEC > System.”
Update Kodi On G-Box Midnight And Other Devices
Go to the Kodi website using the browser on the box. MX2 Firmware Download, Latest MX2 Software Update Kodi Edition. Note, with issues, Team Kodi won’t be able to help, and you may need to hit the reset button to start again.
The steps below will show you how to install our latest MX2 software using Kodi. No problems with full 1080p playback. (Learn How To Install Kodi On Wii)
The latest MX2 TV box software comes in a zip file to download.
Step-by-Step Kodi Update on FireStick
There are three simple ways to get the latest version of Kodi on your FireStick. To begin, you may quickly install Kodi on your Firestick and begin streaming.
The instructions for updating Kodi on a FireStick are as follows:
Note: Make sure you have ‘Apps from Unknown Source’ enabled before updating Kodi.
Go to Firestick or Fire TV Settings, and enter Device or System.
Next head to Developer Options. After that, simply follow these steps:
- Look for the word ‘Downloader’ in the search bar at the top of the Firestick screen.
- Install the Downloader app on your device.
- Start the Downloader
- Go to https://kodi.tv/download and type in the URL.
- Now scroll down and click Android from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Recommended tab at the top of the page as soon as the box is opened.
- Select ARMV7A (32-Bit) or ARMV8A (64-Bit) (64-bit)
- The download will begin as you click on it.
- Updating Kodi to Version 17.6 from Within Kodi. (Alternatively, you can use the Android Kodi Installer)
- Go to FireStick’s main menu and select Settings.
- Navigate to Applications – Toggle between Manage Installed Applications and Manage Installed Applications. Kodi should be selected and opened.
- After launching Kodi, go to the Add-ons menu and select the Package Installer (Box-shaped) icon at the top.
- Select Install from Repository from the drop-down menu now.
- Select Kodi Add-on Repository from the drop-down menu.
- Go to Program Add-ons – Scroll down till you see Kodi Android Installer and click it > Install should be selected.
- If your add-on is installed, a notification will appear in the top-right corner of your screen.
- Return to the Kodi Home Screen > Select Add-ons from the drop-down menu. After that, go to Program Add-ons > Go to Android Installer and click it.
- When you launch Android Installer, you’ll see several options, including Nightly, Releases, Snapshots, and Test-Builds. Click Releases from the drop-down menu.
- Now choose Kodi-17.6-Krypton-armeabi-v7a.apk from the Arm Kodi Release menu.
- Kodi 17.6 installation will begin automatically.
- A dialogue box will display when the download is finished, asking if you wish to install the Kodi update. Click Install.
- Open Kodi after the download is finished, and enjoy the FireStick Update!
Upgrade to the Latest Kodi Version on Android Devices
Here are instructions for updating Kodi on all Android devices, including Android Boxes, Android Tablets, Android Phones, etc. (Learn How Much Data Does Kodi Use)
Using an Android VPN to secure your Kodi streaming is a good recommendation for any Kodi user.
Visit the Kodi website on your Android Smartphone
- Click the Downloads menu
- Scroll to select the Android icon
- Tap the Pre-Release menu at the top
- Scroll and select Kodi 18 Leia
- You’ve updated to the latest version of Kodi
Update Kodi on Android Box
- Go to the Home Screen of the Android Box
- Go to the Apps section.
- Enter this URL: https://kodi.tv/download
- Select Android from the drop-down menu.
- You will be asked to install Kodi 17.6 on Google Play or ARMV7A; thus, click ARMV7A.
- Next, you are asked to download Kodi via ES Downloader or the browser.
- Select ES Downloader from the drop-down menu, and the downloading process starts.
- Close the browser once the download is finished.
- Navigate to the Home Screen of the Android Box
- Select Apps.
- Select the App Installer app.
- A dialog box appears asking permission to install to Local Disk or ScanDisk SD Card.
- Select Local Disk.
- Select the Kodi Android App from the list and click it.
- On the next page, you are informed that the new version will replace the old one, but you won’t lose any data.
- Press Install after selecting “All.”
Now you have the newest version of Kodi to watch your videos.
- Open your Android Tablet
- Select Google Play Store
- Type Kodi onto the Search Box
- When the Kodi app appears on your screen, click on update
- It updates to the newest version of Kodi
Update Kodi on Android Phones from the team Kodi website or Google Play Store.
Update Kodi Using APK File:
- Open Internet Browser on Android Phone
- Type Kodi.tv
- Scroll and select Android
- Scroll again and press the Android option
- Select ARMV7A(32BIT) image, and it will download automatically
- Once the download is complete, select the downloaded file
- It asks to overwrite the Kodi app with a new version and explains your disk will be blank.
- Click Install
- Open the Kodi app and enjoy.
Update Kodi With Google Play Store
- Open Android phone.
- Tap on Google Play Store.
- Search for Kodi.
- It presents you with the latest Kodi version and will overwrite the older version.
- Start using the latest version of Kodi.
Update Kodi on Windows
You may update Kodi on Windows in two ways: by utilizing a Kodi add-on called Windows Installer or by updating simply from the Windows Store.
Complete steps for each method here:
- Go to Add-ons > Package Installer (Box icon) on the top menu once Kodi is launched on Windows.
- Select Install from Repository after clicking the Box-icon.
- Scroll down and select Kodi Add-ons Repository from the list of multiple repositories.
- Select Windows Installer from the list of program add-ons, then clicks Install.
- Return to the Kodi Main Screen
- Select Add-ons
- Finish installing the add-on.
- Kodi Installer Program Add-ons
- Select Win32 from the Releases menu.
- Select the most recent version. Then, if you need to access it on Windows, you’ll find the zip file in your downloads folder.
Using Windows Store
- Visit the Windows Store.
- When a pop-up box appears, click Open Microsoft Store.
- Click Get from the drop-down menu.
- Open the file once the Kodi app has been downloaded to your Windows computer.
- The latest version of Kodi will overwrite the older version, but all of your settings, including Kodi addons and repositories, will be preserved.
Update to Latest Version on Mac/ iPad
The procedure for updating a Mac is similar to that on a PC. Follow the following command steps below to get started:
- First, open an Internet browser and go to Kodi’s main website, Kodi.tv.
- Select Downloads from the drop-down menu.
- Now scroll down and select MacOS from the drop-down menu.
- Select Installer (64Bit)
- The downloading process will begin.
- When the download is complete, open the file.
- It will inform you that the new Kodi version will replace the previous version and that no data will be lost. Install should be selected.
- Open Kodi and use the most recent version!
Updating Kodi on Mxq and Mxq Pro
MXQ and MXQ Pro are Android boxes you can use for searching for movies.
If you already have Kodi installed on your Android device MXQor MXQ Pro, you must follow the instructions outlined in the section under:
How to Update Kodi on GBox
Gbox Midnight Mx2 Kodi Download
- Open GBox Home Screen
- Select Google Play Store
- Type ES File Explorer
- Install the file
- Go to Home Screen again and click on browser
- Type Kodi.tv/download
- Scroll down and select Android
- Select ARM
- It will download the latest version of Kodi
- Once the download completes, a screen opens to ask permission to install the downloaded file.
- Select New and click Install
It overwrites the existing Kodi version and doesn’t lose your data, so there is no need to recover data.
Just restart the app to access movies, music, and TV shows.