As there are people who adore their Android devices, there are many fans of the iPhone. So, once you move up to the next new phone model, you’ll be sure there is a buyer for your old one.
One problem users have is, how to get rid of data from the old phone after they keep what they want with an iCloud backup.
It isn’t as hard as it appears, and here in our guide, you will learn all you need about how to set iPhone to sell and erase all content so someone else can’t see your personal information or data on your old device. (Learn How to Recover Deleted Photos on iPhone)
Is it Possible to Completely Wipe an iPhone?
Any iPhone does need wiping before any person uses it or purchases it. While it was possible to hit the reset button, the safest way to remove all your data to conduct a factory reset.
To erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch,
- Launch the ‘Settings’ app on the ‘Home screen’ of your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap General, scroll all the way to the bottom
- Tap on Reset, then Tap’ Erase All content, and Settings’
- Tap’ Erase iPhone’ to confirm
- Enter your ‘passcode’ then enter your ‘Apple ID password.’ (This turns off ‘Activate lock and deactivates Find my iPhone’ if it is enabled).
How Do I Erase My iPhone Without Passcode
If you enter your Passcode too many times, it will disable your iPhone or iPad. Likewise, if someone does this and you don’t know, you could find you can’t get in your phone if you’ve forgotten your Passcode.
If you enter the wrong Passcode too many times, you’ll see a message that your device is disabled.
If you can’t remember your Passcode, you’ll need to erase your iPhone, which deletes your data and settings, including the Passcode.
If you backed up your iPhone or iPad, you will be able to restore data and settings once you restore your iPhone.
If you didn’t back up your iPhone before you forgot your Passcode, you can’t save any of the data that’s on your iPhone.
Follow the steps below to remove your Passcode.
Note, to do this; you need a computer to follow the steps:
- Make sure your iPhone isn’t connected to the computer.
- Press and hold the Side button and one of the volume buttons. The power off slider should appear.
- Drag the slider and turn off your iPhone.
- Connect the iPhone to the computer as you still hold the Side button.
- Holding the Side button until you finally see the recovery mode screen.
- Once you see the restore or update screen, select restore.
- Finder or iTunes will download software.
- If it takes longer than 15 minutes, your phone exits recovery mode. You will need to go through the steps to remove your Passcode.
- Once the process finishes, you can use your phone and set it up again.
If you backed up data from your iPhone to iCloud, you can remove the old Passcode and restore data and settings.
How do I Completely Wipe a Disabled iPhone?
There’s no way to bypass the Passcode on an iPhone or iPad without factory resetting the phone or device. Here you can use iTunes or the Find My phone app.
Using iTunes, you can reset your personal disabled iPhone to factory settings then restore apps and data from the most recent iCloud data backup.
If you don’t have iTunes or a computer, you can restore the iPhone with Apple’s Find My iPhone web page. The good news is that any thief can’t get into your content and settings if they steal your phone. (Learn How to Change App Store Country)
You can accomplish this using Apple’s Find My iPhone app. With this, you can track your iOS devices and also reset them should they be stolen. You can take advantage of this feature to wipe a disabled phone.
- Open the Apple ‘Find My iPhone website’ using any web browser.
- Select your personal iPhone in the open drop-down menu list of devices at the top of the screen and then click on it.
- Click “Erase iPhone” and then click “Erase” to confirm. You do need your Apple ID password to proceed, yet you don’t need your iPhone’s Passcode.
- When using ‘Find My iPhone,’ you can erase a disabled device and do so, you return it to factory settings even without the phone open.
- After it’s erased, it’s returned to factory settings; then you can follow directions to restore the iPhone from your settings iCloud backup.
How do I Wipe my iPhone Before Selling It?
Before selling or trading in your device, you need to know how to clear iPhone before selling.
You also need to transfer information to your new device, as well as remove personal information from your old device. Go to settings in your iCloud and backup all your personal data before you hand over your device to the new owner.
- Don’t manually delete contacts, or iCloud information while you’re signed in to an iCloud account with your Apple ID. This deletes content from iCloud servers and devices signed in to iCloud account.
- Transfer info to new device
- If you’re not keeping your sim card and phone number will change, add additional trusted phone numbers to your account.
- If you paired Apple Watch with your iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch.
- Back up your device.
- Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store.
- If using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings – your name.
- Scroll down and tap Sign Out.
- Enter Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
- Go to Settings and tap General – Reset – Erase All Content and Settings.
- If you enabled Find My device, you may have to enter your Apple ID and password.
- If it asks for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter them.
- Tap Erase device.
Now you see how to reset iPhone to sell, you need to make sure if you have a sim card. You can delete iPhone, yet you may need the help of the provider for the new owner.
If you are backing up data, you are best using a VPN; these can encrypt all your personal data between your iPhone and iPad and the iCloud service. No one can see what you are uploading.
On your new device, install your VPN first, and you can download your personal data as if it was invisible.