uTorrent is one of the world’s most common torrent programs and is developed by BitTorrent.
When you install the app, it can set itself to automatically be opening on startup Windows 10 or even older versions.
The issue here is that the more programs you have opening on startup, the slower your computer. (Find the Best TV Torrents Sites That Actually Work)
With apps such as uTorrent or BitTorrent, the problem is more profound as you are open to any copyright trolls or your ISP seeing your IP address without your knowledge.
In our guide, you can learn how to disable uTorrent at Windows startup, so you can stop uTorrent from starting automatically.
How do I stop Bittorrent from opening on Startup Windows 10?
If you are using uTorrent 2.0 onward or Bittorrent, you can notice it starts automatically when you boot into Windows and do so if you disable it in ‘System Configuration.’
Here are the steps you need for how to stop uTorrent from opening on startup Windows 10.
- Open uTorrent and from the Start Menu
- Make sure you have an open uTorrent
- Go to Options – Preferences
- Under the General section, click in the box to uncheck the box ‘Start uTorrent on system startup’
- Click OK to close Preferences. (In Windows 7 & Vista, click Start and type msconfig in the Search box. In XP, click Start then type in msconfig)
- Once in System Configuration, click the Startup tab and uncheck uTorrent
- Click OK
Now you won’t have uTorrent from starting up automatically when you start your Windows machine.
If this method didn’t provide the answer, then you can try another way that can help.
If this method didn’t work, you can use another method to disable the uTorrent application.
- Stop uTorrent application or torrent apps
- Press Windows key + r – Type taskmgr
- Stop the uTorrent app that is running
- You need to remove the helper application, which comes with a uTorrent installation.
- Navigate to the helper directory on your computer. C:\Users ‘your-user>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\helper’
- Note: AppData folder will be hidden in Windows by default. Go in the user folder and enable show hidden folders.
- Inside the helper directory, you should see the helper.exe file, which is for uTorrent.
- Now delete it
How Do I Stop a Program from Running at Startup Windows 10?
Suppose you have programs such as when uTorrent keeps opening on startup. Using these quick steps, you can see how easy it is for any user to shut down a program before it has a chance to auto-run.
- Select the Start button
- Select Windows Settings – Apps – Startup. (Make sure any app you want to run at startup of Microsoft Windows is turned on)
- If you don’t see the Startup option in Settings
- Right-click the Start button.
- Go to Task Manager in Windows 10
- Select the Startup tab
- If you can’t see the Startup tab, select More details
- Select the app you want to change. Select enable to run at startup or disable, so it doesn’t run in the Windows 10 settings
How Do You Stop uTorrent from Checking?
There are no options or method to turn this off in the uTorrent app. It is a feature that happens when uTorrent closes unexpectedly and happens if you shut down your computer before closing uTorrent.
You can see why it’s wise to learn the method of how to stop uTorrent from opening on startup Windows 10. It will always happen if you don’t exit the program and stop uTorrent starting at Windows startup. (Read our Torrentz2 Search Engine Guide)
How Do I Prevent an Application from Opening on Startup?
If uTorrent starts on startup, you need to know the method of how to stop uTorrent from opening on startup Windows 10 for security reasons.
The issue for this being, as soon as users start their computer and it is set to start uTorrent, torrent files start seeding, and users are visible to anyone who is checking for copyright infringement.
Copyright trolls via your ISP can see exactly what you download with uTorrent. So, as you start uTorrent when Windows starts, you are exposed.
It is better to stop uTorrent from opening on startup, yet you have full protection with a VPN service. A VPN changes your IP address and gives you a new one.
Now, anyone checking won’t see you are downloading any content that is copyright protected as your ISP uses military-grade encryption.
Now, even if you know how to stop uTorrent from opening on startup Windows 10, it isn’t necessary. With your VPN service, nothing can leak as they use a kill switch, and with this, until your VPN starts, you can lock down your internet connection.