What is IceFilms Add-on?
IceFilms is a video Kodi add-on that streams movies and TV shows. It also delivers lots of music and comedy.
It has been one of the longest running add-ons for Kodi, but vanished and has recently been released, with v2.0 being the latest version.
Previously it only scraped from one source, which went by the same name and had 77,000 movies linked to the add-on from the site.
No content is stored by the IceFilms add-on and it just acts like a search engine to scrape from the site.
Nowadays it has multiple source links it scrapes. It has been rewritten from scratch and is much more efficient.
It uses the universal URLResolver dependency rather than manual resolvers as it used to use in the past which makes it much easier to use.
There have been a couple of updates since the add-on was rewritten from the ground up. You will need the most up-to-date version of the add-on, and Kodi Krypton to be sure everything is working correctly.
The developer Eldorado made previous changes. These include:
- The meta pack download was fixed – now the add-on enters as much of the metadata as it can. This is to keep working speed up and limit size as it tries to access TMDB.
- Users can use their own proxy in countries where IceFilms is blocked.
Installing IceFilms Using Different Methods on Kodi 17
There are several ways how to get IceFilms on Kodi, this first method uses the Smash repository.
By default, Kodi blocks the installation of any third-party add-ons. This is more a security measure against malicious software rather than stopping the movie or TV add-ons you can install.
These few steps are to enable these to be added, and once you have done this the first time, you never need to do it again.
Enabling Unknown Sources
- Launch Kodi Krypton. Click on the Settings Icon in the top-left corner.
- Navigate to System Settings – Expert Mode – Addons.
- Turn on “Unknown Sources” by toggling the switch. This is what lets you install third-party add-ons.
- When you see the warning box, just accept by clicking “Yes.”
Installing the IceFilms add-on
- Navigate back to the Kodi home screen. Click on the “Settings” icon
- Navigate to File Manager – Add Source
- Select None and enter (copy paste save mistakes) the following URL without quotes “http://mediarepos.net/kodistuff”
- Now you need to name the source in the box underneath. Call it “kodistuff.” Click “OK” to save
- On the Kodi home screen, select “Add-ons”
- Click the Package Installer Icon in the top-left corner (small open carton)
- Select “Install from Zip file” and then the file you named kodistuff
- Select the repository.smash-x-x-x.zip and click to install it. (This is where you install Smash repo that contains the add-on)
- You will see an add-on enabled notification box in the top right-hand corner
- Select “Install from repository,”
- Click on the Smash Repository to open
- Select “Video Add-ons” – IceFilms. Click to install
- You will see the IceFilms add-on installed notification box
- Navigate back to the Kodi home screen. Select the “Add-ons” tab from the left-hand column
- You will find IceFilms here, along with any other video add-ons you install
If you have problems with this method and find it not possible to install smash repository, you can try the following simpler method.
This alternative method uses the built in add-on installer.
- Start your Kodi Player
- Navigate to Add-ons.
- Click on the Add-ons icon.
- Use the “Search “option.
- Enter IceFilms in the search string box. Click OK
- Once you see the IceFilms add-on options, you can install it.
- Wait for the add-on enabled notification box.
Install IceFilms Using the Super Repository
This method does require you download the SuperRepo zip file directly rather than accessing it through the installation process. You can download the repo from http://srp/nu
- Open Kodi
- Navigate to “Addons” on the left side of the screen.
- Click on “Add-ons.”
- Select Install from zip-file.
- Navigate to the repo you downloaded and select it
- Wait for add-on enabled notification box
- Select Install from Repository.
- Click on SuperRepo Repositories.
- Select Add-on Repository.
- Click on SuperRepo All [Krypton] [v7] to install.
- Navigate to Video Add-ons.
- Scroll down until you find IceFilms add-on. Click to open
- Install the IceFilms add-on
- You should receive an add-on enabled notification box
IceFilms Not Working
Kodi users may find problems on occasions. This can come from several areas.
Blank Screen or Blocked
For some users, they may start the add-on to see the screen blank. This happens when an ISP blocks the add-on accessing the website.
If this happens, you may need to install IceFilms Kodi add-on from another repo to install that is working.
Kodi repos are being shut down all the time. This can be a frequent error from many add-ons. The Fusion repo can be a good alternative.
You can also use the following method that will bypass these ISP restrictions. A VPN can enable access, and you will find IceFilms unblocked very easily.
All Kodi add-ons can fail during installation, and IceFilms is no different. If this happens from the first installation method we gave instructions to, it can be that the repo is down or undergoing maintenance.
If this happens, you will need to wait awhile to see if the problem resolves itself. This can take several hours on some occasions. If the error repeats after waiting, it is a sign the repo is dead.
When you try to install add-ons, these retrieve the zip files from the internet you type in during installation.
You do need to make sure these files are from the original repos stated and not extra sights claiming to be hosting the files.
Check Log Error
You can receive an error message that says to check the Kodi error log. This often means your cache is full, and can be encountered while streaming.
If you see it while trying to navigate through menu options, it can mean the link is dead.
If this happens, select another stream, and clear your cache. This will resolve the other problem.
Using IceFilms with a VPN
IceFilms is a very fashionable name when it comes to watching movies on-line. The movie streaming add-on is well known for delivering the very latest movies free and in high quality.
Due to so many distinctive features, many users are addicted to using this add-on site to watch movies on Kodi.
The add-on is very easy to use, has a clean and easy-to-use interface. Download speeds are fast so there are very few buffering issues.
There are problems in some countries with the website being blocked. This can lead to add-on problems when streaming in Kodi.
Because of this, there are a few IceFilms proxies that users turn to using if they visit the website.
The problem is, you can’t use these proxies in Kodi, and most of all, they may not be safe. Lastly, they do nothing for safeguarding your identity and you can still receive a copyright infringement notice.
However, a reliable VPN will be able to bypass these restrictions easily.
The problem here is that not all VPN’s are created equal. The list of features they have can remain the same, but when it comes to performance, a lot of them concentrate on Europe and the USA. This makes it hard for users in Australia to find a good VPN for streaming in Australia.
Aside from this, using any Kodi add-on does require a VPN to make sure users are protected from data retention and copyright infringements. A VPN will mask your data, so even your ISP will not see what you are doing.
This is vital because once your ISP can see what you are doing; they can pass on this information to legal agencies who will be looking to prosecute.
On a lighter note, your ISP will throttle your connection when streaming.
There is one recommendation when it comes to choosing the ultimate VPN for Kodi.
ExpressVPN delivers in every department. It will bypass any blocking or geo-restrictions, it keeps your identity safe and private, and it delivers the best speeds possible from a VPN so you have no buffering.
Users can make full use of the best Australian VPN for one month free by using the 30-day money back guarantee.
All the features can be checked and tested without spending a penny. It is the number one choice, and it holds this position for a very good reason.