uTorrent (µTorrent) was the creation of BitTorrent, a file-sharing program (torrent client) that is free to download and use.
The program offers functionality like larger BitTorrent clients while using minimal resources, even for users of older hardware and Windows versions.
However, there used to be far too many advertisements and bloatware. For many, the question remains, “How can I completely remove uTorrent from my system?”
Some users say they can’t get the app off their devices, while others say they can. Fortunately, our guide will help you figure out your problem no matter why you want to delete uTorrent.
You’ll learn how to uninstall uTorrent on Windows 10 and other versions by the end of this article. (Find the Best Torrent Sites Australia)
Is uTorrent a Virus?
No, uTorrent isn’t a virus or a piece of malware. uTorrent is a torrent client or download manager that does the same as other internet download managers, except that it uses torrents and the BitTorrent transport protocol.
However, one stage was full of bloatware, ads, and browser toolbars that upset many users. It was they who wanted to learn how to delete uTorrent the most.
How Do I Uninstall uTorrent if I Don’t Have Sufficient Access?
Unless you have all the proper permissions, you can’t uninstall µTorrent. To do this, you need to attempt and get the required permissions.
- Navigate to the installation directory of uTorrent
- Locate the uninstall executable, right-click and select Run as administrator in the menu (double click will start the program in normal mode)
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstall process
It is always the first thing to make sure you have Administrator rights when trying to uninstall a program from Windows 10. If you still struggle, you can get help with a third-party uninstaller.
If you’re still getting the same error message that states You do not have sufficient access to uninstall, you might be able to solve this problem by using a third-party uninstaller. (Read NYAA Torrents Replacement)
Revo Uninstaller is among the best uninstallers and is free.
You open the app and search for the file you wish to remove. Revo Uninstaller will scan the registry for obsolete keys, leftover files, and folders after the standard uninstaller has
How Do I Completely Uninstall?
Here’s how you go about to completely uninstall µtorrent on older versions of Windows.
For Windows 7 users:
- Navigate to the Control Panel and open the Programs and Features panel
- Scroll to find uTorrent, right-click and click Uninstall/Change
For Windows 8 or Windows Vista users:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Programs and Features in the list
- Highlight uTorrent, then select Uninstall to start the uninstallation process
- Delete invalid entries in the registry (only do this if you know what you are doing)
Delete Hidden Files
- Head to Start menu and type Control Panel
- Open the Appearance and Personalization panel and search for Folder Explorer Options
- Select the View tab
- Check the “Show hidden files and folders” inside the Advanced settings, then click OK
- Open File Explorer or use the Windows Key + E shortcut
- Type µTorrent in the Search Bar and wait a few seconds
- Search for any µTorrent leftovers in the results and delete them permanently
You can also boot into safe mode as this stops any processes loading and locking an app from being deleted from the installation folder.
To remove all references of uTorrent from your computer. Even after you have removed all you think, they can still have leftovers. (Read Hypixel Appeals)
Make sure to delete the exe file and also the following “delete users\%you%\appdata\roaming\utorrent”
removal of these will stop the program from trying to load, even if you can’t see any of the apps
How Do I Completely Remove uTorrent from Windows 7?
To make sure uTorrent isn’t running, navigate to task manager and locate the service. In task manager, you can end the task to stop the program from running and locking services.
Step 1: Uninstall the unwanted uTorrent program from Control Panel
- Click the Start button and go to Control Panel,
- Click Uninstall a program.
- Find uTorrent and click Uninstall.
Step 2: Clean leftovers
To delete all related files and folders of the uTorrent program, you need to navigate the AppData folder and Program file folders and clear them.
Press Windows key + R to run the Search window; you can also click the Start button to launch the search box.
Type “%appdata%” and press Enter so the AppData folder will open. You can also navigate to C:/Your user name/appdata folder directly.
Check in the Local and Roaming folder to see if there are files and folders related to uTorrent and if there are, you should be able to select them and delete them. If you can’t reboot in safe mode and then you can.
Program Files folders:
In the same way, locate the “%programfiles%,” “%programfiles(x86)%,” and “%programdata%” one after the other and delete any uTorrent related files.
Step 3: Clean the Registry
In this section, you need to be sure you take care as deleting the wrong thing can cause more issues. Make sure you delete the correct files and folders only.
- Open the “regedit” registry editor app window by typing in the search box.
- Head to HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/SOFTWARE, and locate all strings, files, and folders that relate to uTorrent.
- Right-click on these registry entries and hit the delete command.
- You can do the same in the following string: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftware, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432Node and delete all related files and folders.
Step 4: Emptying Temp Folders
Search for “%temp%” in your search box and delete any uTorrent related files in these folders.
Once you complete all the above steps, you will have finished removing uTorrent from Windows 7.
All these methods are sufficient to stop the launch of uTorrent and exposing your IP address. However, you can make sure you are even more protected by installing a VPN tool to hide your IP address. (Find the Best VPN for Torrenting)
Should the above installation methods fail for any reason, you aren’t compromised as you have installed a VPN, and your online activities are safe and secure.