You might have heard of Kodi and know it is one of the most powerful media players ever developed.
Now there is another name, and this is Chromecast, this you might be unfamiliar with aside from guessing it has something to do with Google.
Let’s look at what it is, what it does, and how we can get Kodi onto it.
What is Chromecast?
Chromecast is from Google, and it is their latest attempt to become a member of the streaming marketplace.
How Chromecast works are that their device comes in the form of a dongle that can be plugged into your TV and will receive streams of high-quality content directly from your smartphone.
This makes it a natural choice for users who wish to stream content directly from the likes of YouTube.
Chromecast works on many devices such as laptops, tablets and, as mentioned, smartphone devices.
Although the device is already handy and great to use, it can be made better, and this is where Kodi comes into the picture.
When Kodi to Chromecast is used, it quickly becomes one of the most versatile streaming devices in the world; it is the home theatre you can fit in your pocket. Sort of.
Where Else does Kodi Run?
Kodi is a far cry from a one-trick pony when it comes to devising compatibility. It can run on many devices such as Android boxes and phones, Kodi boxes, gaming consoles, iOS devices such as iPad and iPhone, Smart TV’s, Mac’s and Windows, plus many more.
The First Hurdles For Kodi and Chromecast
There are two hurdles you’ll hit when using Kodi and Chromecast; the first is there is no such thing as Kodi for Chromecast. It can’t be installed on the device.
At this point, many users might give up, but there are solutions, and these aren’t that difficult to carry out once you read the instructions.
The second hurdle can’t be got around, and this could be the worst of the two for some people. It isn’t possible to stream Kodi content to Chromecast from an iOS device.
With no chance of installing Kodi on Chromecast, there must be a way to stream content, and the remainder of the article shows how you can easily do this and how you can protect yourself against any copyright infringement you might be a victim of of of in the process.
Installing Kodi on Chromecast from Android Devices
With Android being the primary way of streaming content from Kodi on Google Chromecast, there are two ways. However, the second method can drain your Android device’s battery quicker.
This does involve downloading a couple of apps from the Play Store.
- Download and install the following apps on your Android device
- Kodi app.
- ES File Explorer app.
- Local cast app.
- Also, I need to download the PlayFactoryCore XML file.
- Launch the ES File Explorer app and go to Settings > Display Settings. Enable ‘Show Hidden Files.’
- From the top bar, select the search function and type in playcorefactory.xml.
- Make a long click on the file and choose ‘Copy’ from the lower bar.
- Navigate back to the ES File Explorer home screen.
- Navigate to ‘Local Storage’ > ‘Android’ > ‘Data’ > org.xbmc.kod > Files > ‘Kodi’ >’userdata’.
- Now paste the playercorefactory.xml file there.
- Launch the Kodi app and select the video you wish to cast to your Chromecast.
- The local cast app automatically opens.
- Select the Chromecast device.
- Click Play.
- The video should now stream from the Kodi TV app on your Android device to your TV via the Chromecast app.
Method Two Installing Kodi for Android on Chromecast
- This method is shorter, but the battery of your Android device will drain faster.
- Download the Google Cast app to your Android device and install it.
- Launch your Google Cast app.
- Select ‘Cast Video/Audio’ from the menu (These is the three horizontal lines).
- Select your Chromecast device under ‘Cast to.’
- Launch your Kodi app and select the video you wish to stream.
- The video now streams to your TV.
- This method means your Android device keeps streaming the video, and you can’t use your Android for anything else while you are streaming.
Installing Kodi to Chromecast with PC or Mac
- First, you need to install the Chrome browser.
- Install Chromecast extension to your Chrome browser.
- Install Kodi onto your Windows PC or Mac OSX.
- Launch your Chrome browser.
- Select the Chromecast icon in Chromes top right corner. Select ‘Cast to.’
- Choose ‘Cast Desktop’ from the Chromecast plug-in.
- Launch the Kodi app and choose the video you want to watch.
- You can now Chromecast laptop to a TV of your selected content
You could also use the Chrome for Kodi add-on and do it directly from inside your Kodi app, but there might be a conflict with the extension, so it is advisable to use the above method.
Protecting Your Connection with a VPN
Depending on the content you want to stream thru Kodi, it could be classed as illegal if it comes from an unreliable source.
This does place you in a position where ISP’s who record and retain your browsing habits can see exactly what you are watching. This information could be handed over to governing bodies who chase the add-on developers and viewers of illegal content.
It is strongly advised to download VPN client software before attempting to install Kodi on Chromecast. This will encrypt your data, and no one will see what streams you are watching, or in fact, they won’t know you are streaming.
If you follow all the steps above, you can now use two of the best items for streaming. You have the best device, the best media player with add-ons installed, and you also have the means of making them work together.